Monday, April 9, 2007

Spring Embroidery

My daughter came home last week from school with what I thought was an adorable spring picture. I felt it was yearning to be rendered in embroidery floss so I transfered it onto a tea towel and embroidered furiously so that it could be ready to give to my mother-in-law who hosted us for Easter.
It isn't wonky like in the photo. That rick-rack was in the stash I got from my grandma. I think its cotton and not the polyester stuff you find regularly now.

Maybe this picture below shows the detail better. I find that I really dislike doing satin stitch. I used it in places on this towel, but I also filled in with rows or swirls of chain stitch. I don't know if this is faster, but I'm really comfortable with chain stitch.

I think Nana scarcely knows what to do with an embroidered tea towel, but it was fun to make. This is really my sort of thing. Having been a teacher, I think kid's drawings are terrific. My daughter LOVED this usage of her artwork. I'm really going to have to do another one and keep it for us.

Here's her original crayon drawing. Remember when you were a little kid and made flying birds as little m's and the sun was always a yellow circle in the corner of the page?

I did ask my son if he wanted to draw a picture for me too. He was very polite about it, but he was really not interested.

Thanks for having us for Easter, Nana! We miss you!

4 comments:

maggie said...

gorgeous! really really special. you are on to something here. keep at it.

maggie
portland, maine

m. said...

Love this idea! You are one crafty mama! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above - and I have first-hand knowledge!
Great stuff, Susie!

Commonplace iris said...

Such a great project. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to bring me artwork to make things with (she's only just coming up on 9 months right now).
My mum still uses the apron (with pockets to keep her clothes-pins in for use when hanging up laundry) that I drew on for her over 20 years ago!