Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mermaids


Mermaids, originally uploaded by IamSusie.

In addition to making things from felt and collecting hankies, I like to embroider. I made this little pillow from a drawing my 6-year old daughter made. I was scrambling to stay on budget for gifts at Christmas. My daughter now makes little pictures all the time for me to "'broider". Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to the rest of them yet. She was very proud of the way she drew the purple bikini to cover the mermaid's "private spots".

That's fabric crayon filling in the large areas. I like embroidery, but not enough to satin stitch all that in. I was fairly certain that I had ruined the little project with the crayon until I heat set it with the iron. That smoothed out the color considerably.


My son has had a special resource teacher in addition to his classroom teacher for the last 2 years. This is the drawing he made of Mr.M that I embroidered into an ornament for him.

Doing this from my kids drawings was really satisfying and pretty simple. I just found some transfer paper at the craft store, traced the pictures onto it and then rubbed it onto my fabric.

I do prefer iron on transfers, but this worked great. I like to use the chain stitch with 2 or 3 strands of embroidery floss. It makes a bulky, forgiving line.

It is my dream to embroider tea towels for everyone with cute little children's drawings.
*sigh* I have many crafty dreams....

1 comment:

SilverLining Designs said...

Hi, I found you through The Sky is Pink. I absolutely love your mermaid and the fact that you took it from your daughters drawing. What a great way to capture her art and a wonderful keepsake. She must have been so proud that you did that.