Friday, March 7, 2008

Sleep Masks

This morning I made His and Hers sleep masks for my husband and me. He picked out the fabric he liked from my stash (the stash in the active pile in the dining room) and I chose the pink on pink because those are my favorite shades and pink is flattering on me. Yes, that is a prerequisite even for a sleep mask.

Sleep masks

Here are the undersides with more great fabric:
Slep Masks- Lining
We really need these, because I get migraines and I have to lie quietly for a few hours in the dark and migraines can come day or night. My husband goes to sleep before I do and I always need to watch tv, stitch, or read before I can get to sleep, so he uses a mask.

The pattern was a truly easy one from the book "Amy Butler's In Stitches". My mother-in-law got me this book last Christmas and while I've drooled over the projects for a long time, this is my first project so far. It was very easy and I even fired up the walking foot on my sewing machine to do the quilted outside section of the mask.
Nice sewing book

Anyone else read the Martha Stewart 's blog? It's called The Martha Blog which always confuses me because I know an actual person named Martha who also has a terrific blog. I read blogs through Google Reader and the banners don't come up, so it's easy to get confused. Seriously... there have been so many times I read The Martha Blog and think, "Gee, Martha (the friend) seems a little bit young to have a nephew who is a successful opera singer." or "What the heck is Martha doing with so many equestrian blankets she has a pile to give to charity?"

It is refreshing to see that Martha Stewart has trouble with lighting in her photos just like I do. See HERE or HERE. At first I was pretty sure that Martha Stewart didn't really have anything to do with that blog, but now I think maybe she actually does take the pictures, but someone else fiddles with all the writing and uploading of photos and such. I'm not sure...

Anyway, yesterday I read this utterly absurd post by Martha S: My fabric Collection and How I Organized It. She had an underling wrap all he fabric bolts in white paper and cellophane. The are labeled with a little photo, but mostly look all white and sterile. What is the point of having a fabric collection if you can't see and touch the fabrics? Where is the rush when you pull out a sample and take in it's glorious expanse of color and pattern? Although I am domestic, I am sooo not Martha Stewart, but I do enjoy her blog and TV show when I can catch it.

9 comments:

Rebel said...

OMG! I like watching Martha too... but she's a bit OCD, and with a staff of hundreds, that can get a little out of hand. I feel pretty good when my fabric stash is 'away' and not just strewn all over my apartment!

As for the sleep masks - they are very cute, and I hope it helps you both sleep well. I think I'm going to have to get an Amy Butler book... I keep seeing all her patterns and I really like them.

Nan and B.A.G.S. the pug said...

OMG SUSIE! I was just reading my mom her blog on how to organize her fabric and we were like.. bolts? Huh? LOL.

I LOVE THE AMY BUTLER BOOK. I love your sleep masks! Can I ask which fabric it is? I love it!!

AWESOME JOB!!!! *hugs* I am so happy you are sewing so much - you are inspiring me!! I may bust out the singer before this dang test is done! lol. So what are you making next?

Actually? you know what? I am making something next - St. Patty's day napkins and placemats! Lol.

Do you like the zipper foot better than the regular foot?

HUGS and I can't wait to see what you create NEXT!!! Nan

Nan and B.A.G.S. the pug said...

oh and I love both of Martha's blogs TOO. lol.

IamSusie said...

Nan- I got the fabrics in a big discount bin, but I think the brown spotty one is a Kaffe Fassett print. The pink and the brown ones are from a line called "Girlfriends" available from Free Spirit Fabrics.

I'm don g2 swaps now, so my next project is making felt food and also embroidering an owl...I did get distracted today making some spring napkins and a table runner. I've got one napkin to go!

Mom O Matic said...

"What the heck is Martha doing with a so many equestrian blankets she has a pile to give to charity?"

Snort.

Mom O Matic said...

Ok, I just looked at the Martha blog and it's hilarious. I imagine her assistant was like "F*ck. Now I have to do what??" when she heard Martha was getting a blog.

And the comments are a hoot.

Nan and B.A.G.S. the pug said...

LOL - My mom said the same thing about the doll. did you see the new fabric? Hee

IamSusie said...

Lotta- I left a comment on MS's fabric bolt organization entry that started with: " This is undeniable evidence that you are a lunatic". It never made it past the comment moderators and I was only gently teasing... sort of..

Nan- I can't wait to see your skirt!

Anonymous said...

I see your blog by chance. I also make the eye masks by my myself on my spare time and also sell them to the students who need them. It is a very good life style.