Monday, February 2, 2009

Crochet Edging Book

Okay, enough nostalgia. You know, people really do look the same over the years. I know you hear that all the time, but it is true. The days are getting lighter and I think I'm feeling crafty again. I have a final book to share from my last trip to the Japanese bookstore. This one is Crochet Edging & Braid. It has 100 edge patterns and is published by Asahi. ISBN978-4-02-190432-5 or 4021904325. I don't see any braiding patterns in here, but sometimes they have you weaving in and out of the crochet or crocheting around manufactured trims and lace.

EDIT: I found the book at YesAsia HERE. Y'all, I'm not going to order this book for you, you can do that yourself! (click on the word HERE to go to the YesAsia listing.)

Crochet Edging and Braid Book

Crochet Edging and Braid Book

Everything in this book is beautiful without exception.

Crochet Edging and Braid Book

I'd like to crochet the edges of my bedroom curtains, but I cannot imagine how long it would take to make 18 yards or more of one of these lovelies.

P1030323

These are just fun. Here are little fruits, ice cream cones and teacup and saucer edgings:
Crochet Edging and Braid Book

I am swooning over the ones with the laundry hanging on the line and the garden spade with watering can:
Crochet Edging and Braid Book

Not all the patterns are multicolored. There are several pages with one-color motifs.
Crochet Edging and Braid Book

As in all Japanese books, patterns are international charts. Charts are easy if you just give them a try!

14 comments:

Sarah said...

Totally precious

Anonymous said...

How beautiful, all of them. In my late teens I crocheted an edging that I was planning to use on curtains. Somehow I finished the edging but never made the curtains :-( I still have it somewhere, I might look for it and post photos.

I also find crochet charts much easier to follow than written instructions. I can't make heads or tails of the latter.

IamSusie said...

I like the charts because it is easy to find your place. On the Japanese ones I write little notes counting the stitches.. Paula, you have to use that edging on something!

wendy harbaugh said...

a braid is a traditional term for a machine made lace or a woven lace. So the book is correct in calling things braids it is a term that was used more around the previous tern of the century 1900.

take care
sunshine

wendy harbaugh said...

how does one buy this book all the listings I see on the internet are in congei and I can't read them to order how did you get yours and might I buy one the same way
thank you
sunshine

BuggletQuilts said...

Ok, I have to know, where did you find a Japanese craft book seller in the Chicago suburbs? I've been eyeing them for ages, but don't want to pay shipping costs from Japan. Thanks!

IamSusie said...

Vicki- I found it through my crafty friends in my MeetUp group. Do you live in the Chicago suburbs? This one is the Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights (I think.. It's off Algonquin Road). There is another bookseller in maybe Elgin or something, but I'm not sure.

If you order online from YesAsia, they don't charge shipping to the USA. Unfortunately, I couldn't find this title the last time I looked.

IamSusie said...

Vicki- I found it through my crafty friends in my MeetUp group. Do you live in the Chicago suburbs? This one is the Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights (I think.. It's off Algonquin Road). There is another bookseller in maybe Elgin or something, but I'm not sure.

If you order online from YesAsia, they don't charge shipping to the USA. Unfortunately, I couldn't find this title the last time I looked.

Carmen said...

When I find that book. My email is chaparronievescarmen@yahoo.com. If not can you send me a copy

Unknown said...

I am willing to purchase this (Crochet Edging & Bride 100) book. Please let me know how or from where I can get this book.

Unknown said...

I am willing to purchase this (Crochet Edging & Bride 100) book. Please let me know how or from where I can get this book. If not please arrange me a copy of the book. My email is fg.shabrina@gmail.com

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

IamSusie said...

*sigh* shabrina, did you read the comments? I know this is an awesome book, but I haven't seen it at my Japanese store since I bought it. You will have to find a seller of Japanese craft books and see if they can order it for you. I'm just a crafty mom in the midwest USA, not a bookseller.

Kendra said...

There is a downloadable way of getting it for free. I found it through my boyfriend (he's good at finding things online), If anyone needs it email me. kendra.n.finbow14@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

yow- download a virus, Kendra!